Monday, June 15, 2009

New Interview with etsy artist netamir!

Here is another interview with a wonderful artist who has some creative, unique pieces in her etsy shop. I have never seen cloth used in this way and I knew other creative people would be inspired by her work.

1) How long have you been selling on etsy?

I began on Dec 2005; it was short while after I quilted a work as a fashion designer in a commercial company.

2) Do you have advice for etsy newbies?

Patience! This is the most important one.
Good photos would do a lot for your promoting. Enjoy what you are doing; you wouldn't get rich out of it so you must at least, have fun.
Flickr, twitter and blogging are helpful tools.
Luck, is sometimes necessary too.

3) What are 3 fave etsy stores and why?
Holli,
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=64858
Beautiful dolls and illustrations by Argentine artist Paola Zakimi. I love her funny and sad characters, I like the way she combines humor with melancholy at her work.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5085167
kjoo,
Crochet and Felt accessories by the Portuguese artist Maria Joao Ribeiro. I like to see designs that doesn't look like anything I have saw before, and Maria's are exactly that, they are original and innovative, well crafted and beautify designed.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5219973&ga_search_query=yoko&ga_search_type=seller_usernames
Yoko,
She is amazing, she makes me smile every time I see anything by her and she makes it in such a whimsical and sophisticated way.
Take a look at the title of her store.

4) What are your fave pieces in your shop and why?
It's a difficult question to answer as to a mother who should answer which child she prefers.
But If I must I would say that the "let's cloth it" collection is my favorite as it came out of my art installation "scraps".

5) What plans do you have for your shop?
I just split my store into two, now I am selling my dolls at my second store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7252436
I want to populate this store, the dolls there are getting bored, and they need more attention and company now.
Afterwards I have some ideas for more shoes and "let's cloth it" designs.

6) How long have you been creating art?
Since I can remember my self, as a little girl I was painting all the time, later on I was also crocheting and sewing with my mother and grandmother. I always attended after school art classes and at the age of 15 I moved to art high school.

7) Who are your art heroes?
Elsa Schiaparelli in fashion

Louise Bourgeois and Annette Messager in fine art.

And
Rosa Pomar, Camilla Engman, Sandra Monat, and many more artists I met through the web.

8) Where do your ideas come from?
It is difficult to say, it is a combination of sources, sometimes it is people on the street and sometimes it is materials I use.
The creation itself is also great source of inspiration for me as well as the unique communication I have with people through the web.
The story about my shoes making can illustrate it best:
At the beginning I had only dolls at my store, I really liked to design unique garments and accessories for them, then a customer who envy their unique style asked me if it is possible for me to scale up my dolls slippers for her feet.
I was working three weeks to find the best materials and developed the scaled up pattern, this is how I began with the slippers. Shortly afterwards a customer who likes the slippers wished to go out with them, this is how I began with the shoes making…

9) What do you do when you have a creative block?
Take a nap.

10) What other interests do you have that feed into your art?
I love Movies, music, reading and just wandering around.

No comments: